Thanks to improved connectors and bracing, the YAS-280 is also more durable than its predecessor - ideal for young players still learning to care for their instrument.
What Makes a Yamaha Saxophone Special?
The Yamaha YAS-280 beginner alto saxophone is the sucessor to the longstanding, bestselling, YAS-275. They have carried over the essential Yamaha hallmarks of high quality build, reliability and excellent (and consistent) intonation in the new model - qualities which made the YAS-275 the leading choice for beginner saxophonists.
The design of the YAS280 is lightweight and ergonomic offering a comfortable playing experience (which makes it especially suitable for younger learners). The neck receiver on the body of the saxophone has been refined with improved rigidity - it's firmly set in place with a durable tightening screw. On the base of the instrument, the low B - C# mechanism has been modified to ensure full and consistent closure of the pads. This prevents air leakage and thus gives a more confident sound in the YAS-280's lower register (which also contributes to the improved consistency in intonation of the YAS-280's lower register). An adjustable thumb-rest ensures that even small hands are able to reach all the notes without unnecessary stretching (helping learners to play more comfortably for longer durations). Thanks to improved connectors and bracing, the YAS-280 is also more durable than its predecessor - ideal for young players still learning to care for their instrument.
Perfect for Beginners of All Ages
Of all types of saxophone, the alto sax is the most common starter instrument. Its compact key layout and need for a little less air make it a solid choice for those just starting out as well as younger players.
Other factors making the alto a popular first saxophone is its generally lower cost as well as the wealth of classical repertoire written for the instrument. Moreover, most of the skill and technique a learner develops on the alto can easily apply to other saxophones.
Why Buy Yamaha?
- Perfect touch - Manufactured to exacting specifications for a comfortable playing experience
- Excellent sound and intonation - Exceptional musicality; play without frequent re-tuning
- Easy to learn - Optimised, beginner-friendly specifications and design which encourages practice and nurtures progress
- Built to last - Over many decades we've earned an unrivalled reputation for craftsmanship, build quality and reliability
- High-end specification - Many professional-level features included
- Superb residual values - Making future upgrades more affordable